Jinh Yu Frey entered Invicta FC 39 fight week looking to defend her atomweight championship. By fight night, she was left with only the option of winning a fight and making sure that no one else claimed the belt that she lost at weigh-ins.
Frey was supposed to defend the belt against Ashley Cummins on Friday in Kansas City, but she missed weight on Thursday, which forced her into relinquishing the atomweight championship. Cummins could have become the champion if she had won the bout, but Frey wasn’t about to let that happen.
After three rounds of back-and-forth action, Frey did enough to show why she was a champion in the first place, claiming a unanimous decision from the judges. Unable to keep her hold on the belt, Frey at least kept Cummins from taking it, meaning that the Invicta FC atomweight championship remains vacant.
(Courtesy of Invicta Fighting Championships)
Invicta FC 39: Frey vs. Cummins Results
- Jinh Yu Frey def. Ashley Cummins by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47)
- Miranda Maverick def. Pearl Gonzalez by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Alesha Zappitella def. Kelly D’Angelo by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Erin Blanchfield def. Victoria Leonardo by knockout (head kick) at 2:06, R3
- Jillian DeCoursey def. Linda Mihalec by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Monica Franco def. Tina Pettigrew by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)